Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Did Gangsta Rap make me do it? hell nah, I don't think so


"If I die in Iraq, ain't nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it."
what the fuck?

Recently listening to Ice Cube's "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It" it made me ponder if gangsta rap did make me do it? do what exactly? take a shower? wear baggy clothes? make waffles? listen to gangsta rap? I didn't even know of gangsta rap until my dad started playing it for me while I was living a very plain, idyllic life in Houston, Texas. One of the first rap songs my dad played for me was "California Love" by Tupac Shakur, he use to play it on our family trips back to to Cali to visit the family as well as Notorious B.I.G.'s "Going back to Cali." So the question is what did gangsta rap make me do? ever since 1995 I began consuming everything I could from gangsta rap and rap in general. Pac, Biggie, NWA, Eazy- E, Jay-Z, LL Cool J(?), Will Smith (?), okay so rap in general. For as long as I could remember people made the argument that rap music was garbage, it is loud, it is not music, it perpetuates violence. Well if I could be the poster boy for "Gangsta Rap not making me do it" I would be. I love my gangsta rap as much as the next person. Gangsta rap is very carthartic: you get a bad grade in a class?listen to Ice Cube: Straight outta compton a crazy mothafucka named Ice cube and im rolling with n *expletive*expletive* with an attitude, I got a sawed off, watch out or bodies getting hauled off. If you are in a good mood listen to Ice Cube: Good day: "Just waking up in the morning gotta thank god, i don"t know but today seems kind of odd, no barking from the dog, no smog, and mama cook the breakfast with no hog." It is a song. If you find out your girl is cheating on you: " Bitch Im going to kill you, you don't want to fuck with me" by the great Eminem. The point is you don't take the music too seriously because it represents a consciousness that is felt all the time. So what did gangsta rap make me do? Escape the bullshit around me in the real world.

No comments: